It’s February already and there’s a lot to expect this month. It’s not just the Chinese New Year when almost everyone is preparing for the three-week long Chinese Holidays. There’s one more thing that people are preparing for (particularly for those who are in love, who are young, and those who are young at heart). It’s Valentine’s Day! And most drop shippers will take much pain to analyze the items they can sell this Valentine’s. However, let’s proceed with it step-by-step 🙂
Even though only 55 percent of Americans are going to celebrate Valentine’s Day in 2018 according to the National Retail Federation (NRF), it is still a lucrative occasion for the U.S. economy. – Forbes
Believe it or not but February brings people to spend and they are ready for it. Love can move mountains and indeed love can boost your sales this month of hearts. Here are some cold facts.
It is anticipated that over fifty percent (53%) of Americans will be shopping for February 14th, shelling out an estimate of $30 billion Valentine treats and activities.
On the other hand, indicators seem to suggest that there will be less spending this 2019, from $30.3 billion from 2018’s Valentine’s day sales down to $30 billion this year 2019.
In terms of the spending challenge between genders, 62% of males are expected to shop for a family or friend, compared to only 45% of females who plan to shop this Valentine’s Day.
If you’re one of the 53% of Americans planning to spend on someone for Valentine’s Day, I hope you’ve got deep pockets: The average person is expected to spend $221.34. — Valentine’s Day Statistics / Finder
The Most Popular Valentine’s Day Gift As Per Record
So what should you sell on Valentine’s day? Let’s take a look at the most popular Valentine’s Day gifts in the United States that you should consider selling in your store.
Statista came up with a chart that features the most popular gifts in 2017. While Init had been recorded popular in 2017, the year 2018 likewise showed the same popularity as it was the year before.
What kind of gifts should you be selling in 2019? Based on 2017-2018, Statista
Top Spending on Valentine’s Gift 2018
Forbes came up with the key consumer spending trends on Valentine’s day in 2018. Based on their data as featured in their infographics, the top spending categories on Valentine’s Day 2018 shows that Jewelry tops the list of the most spent by category on for Valentine’s day gifts, followed by an evening out, flowers, clothing, and candy. Despite the popularity of candy, Jewelry takes the lead due to the difference in its price where one piece of jewelry could be equivalent to 10 (or more) candies.
Top Spending Categories on Valentine’s Day. See full infographic here – Forbes
Top Five Items To Add To Your Store to Sell on This Valentine’s
1. Candies and Chocolates. Yes, you can dropship candies and chocolates. In fact, there are several dropship suppliers in this category. Wholesale Discounters is among a few of those who provide a great list of chocolate and confectionary dropshippers. In fact, Google is a great place to look for the best suppliers in chocolate and confectionary items.
2. Greeting cards. There are many greeting cards resources that you can sell online. With Print-on-demand systems high on the rise, you can find a reliable source to send out great artistic greeting cards (even greeting card designs you created by yourself). Wondering where to start? Check out Lemonade Stand featured articles on print-on-demand suppliers.
3. Flowers. What’s Valentines’ day without flowers? There are a number of people ordering flowers to be delivered right at their preferred address. And yes it’s like dropshipping for flowers and you too can jump in and offer flowers for sale, readily delivered to the customer’s preferred address. You’ll probably be surprised that Alibaba offers fresh flower dropshipping.
4. Jewelry. Many men are making Valentine’s day extra special for their loved ones. And yes, jewelry gifts are on the rise this month. So go ahead and add some jewelry to your online retails store. Wondering where to get jewelry suppliers for your online dropshipping business? Research has its perks and here’s a good place to start – Dropship Jewelry for your Online Store.
5. Gift Cards. Coming up with an idea of what to give someone on Valentine’s day with such a wide range of options to choose from can be really confusing. Thus, many people opt to give gift cards. According to Innowavemarketing.com gift cards ranks in the #1 choice that people want as a gift. It’s a wise choice for dropshippers too. Gift cards are definitely a great add on to your store.
The bottom line is that people are ready to spend on Valentine’s day. And it’s among the most lucrative times of the year. As a dropshipper, you should prepare your online retail store. Sell what people are looking for.