So you found your winning products, set up a beautiful Shopify store, and are ready to make sales, but almost no one visits your website? Did you install the best SEO app for Shopify? No, why? Because probably no one sees your store! Install a Shopify SEO plugin to fix that!
Many eCommerce beginners make the mistake of not optimizing their stores for search engines. And while this is a novice-level error, it might be fatal for your eCommerce business. Search engine optimization (SEO) is essential for any online business, but it might be quite overwhelming, especially for beginners. Luckily for Shopify users, there are plenty of paid and free Shopify SEO plugins that can help with the most difficult tasks.
In this article, we will overview some of the most popular Shopify SEO plugins in 2023 and what they offer to find which one is the best SEO app for Shopify.
Do I Need An SEO App For Shopify? Yes!
To determine what is the best SEO app for Shopify, you need to know what eCommerce SEO is and what Shopify SEO plugins do.
What is eCommerce SEO Shopify?
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the set of practices to improve website visibility on search engines, such as Google, Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo, and others. By following eCommerce SEO practices, you help potential customers discover your Shopify store whenever they search for information or products.
While the ultimate goal is to generate organic traffic, eCommerce SEO affects different aspects that can influence your online business. Here is what you can additionally achieve with eCommerce SEO for Shopify:
- Attract quality leads.
- Increase brand awareness and visibility.
- Enhance User Experience.
- Increase marketing ROI.
- Lower Ads Costs.
As you can see, the fruits are many, but SEO is not an easy task. It involves several directions:
- Technical SEO
- Keyword research
- On-page SEO
- Off-page SEO
- Content marketing.
Each of these directions involves many activities, and each consists of many tasks, some of which might be tedious and time-consuming. You can learn more about eCommerce SEO Shopify in our Boost Your Sales with Shopify SEO: A Step-by-Step Guide for Beginners.
One of the advantages of the Shopify platform is the vast number of third-party apps and plugins that improve different aspects of Shopify stores, and SEO is not an exception. With a good Shopify SEO plugin, you can forget about the most tedious SEO-related tasks or forget about SEO maintenance at all. But what is the best SEO app for Shopify?
What is an SEO plugin for Shopify?
Shopify apps or plugins, also called extensions, are small third-party software applications that extend existing functionality or add new features. Shopify apps are one of the main advantages of the Shopify platform, as they enable store owners to add new features to their stores without hiring a developer to code.
Currently, there are over 7000 Shopify plugins available on the Shopify App store, with over 4000 of them offering a free plan. There are a wide variety of apps available, and Shopify classifies them into the following categories:
- Finding products – Dropshipping apps, print-on-demand apps, wholesale, and suppliers.
- Orders and shipping – Fulfillment and inventory management apps, order printers, invoices, and shipping apps.
- Marketing and conversion – SEO apps, upsells, bundles, discounts, and email marketing.
- Selling products – Sales channels, product options, subscriptions, and digital downloads.
- Store design – Review apps, currency converters, translation, and popups.
- Store management – Help centers, FAQs, chat, wishlist apps, and loyalty programs.
A Shopify SEO app is a plugin that helps with search engines optimization tasks, like optimizing product descriptions, meta titles and descriptions, generating XML sitemaps, and identifying and fixing broken links.
A Shopify SEO plugin can automate many SEO-related tasks and provide insights into improving SEO performance, keyword research, and tracking SEO metrics. Shopify SEO apps make the process of optimizing a store for search engines simpler and more efficient, especially for beginners without much knowledge or experience with SEO.
There are over 7000 Shopify apps, and not all of them are good, especially the free ones. Some are too difficult to install and configure properly. Others affect your store loading speed too much. And some are just not as good as other options. That is why I made the list of Must-Have Shopify Apps your eCommerce shop needs. These highly-rated apps provide significant improvements or additional features and are either free or have a high value-to-functionality ratio.
So what is the best SEO app for Shopify in 2023? It is simple – there is no single best one. As you will see from this list of best Shopify SEO apps, they are all different. Some are small apps that perform specific functions like image optimizations. Others are all-around solutions with multiple features and analytics. Some cost $1.99 per month, while others charge a hefty sum. It is up to you to decide which Shopify SEO plugin is the best for you.
Not yet making money online?
Start your own dropshipping business. Sign up for a free trial of DSM Tool and we’ll help you get started. Today is the day.
13 Best Shopify SEO Apps in 2023
These are the best shopify SEO apps to use in 2023. I checked every plugin on the list to ensure they are available and the information is up-to-date as of the time of writing this article.
1. SEO Manager Shopify SEO App
Rating: 4.7 from 1729 reviews.
Pricing: $20/month. 7-day free trial.
SEO Manager is one of everything included solutions – it packs over 20 different features to cover all your Shopify SEO needs. It is one of the best SEO apps for Shopify, with a high ranking from more than 1700 reviews that prove its effectiveness.
What I like about SEO Manager is that besides all the advanced features, it provides a step-by-step tutorial for SEO optimization that even complete beginners can follow. It provides a wide range of features to help store owners improve their website’s search engine visibility and increase organic traffic.
- Identifies and fixes 404 broken links automatically in real-time.
- Automatically submits the sitemap file to Google.
- Templates for title, description, and image alt text automation.
- Seamless integration with Google Trends and Analytics.
- Automatically adds schema/structured markup to pages.
- Scans our store and suggests SEO improvements.
- Keyword research and suggestion features.
- Structured JSON-LD and local business data.
SEO Manager offers only one plan for $20 per month. You can test this Shopify SEO plugin during a 7-day trial.
2. Smart SEO Plugin For Shopify
Rating: 4.9 from 1135 reviews.
Pricing: Free | $9.99/month | $19.99/month. | $29.99/month. 7-day free trial.
Smart SEO is another long-established Shopify SEO app that automates all the optimization tasks so store owners can focus on selling. It offers fewer features than SEO Manager; thus, it is cheaper. Nonetheless, it has all the SEO features you require, so you pay only for what you actually need.
- Optimizes your store images to boost SEO.
- Provides JSON-LD structured data to Google.
- Supports multiple languages for meta tags.
- Detects and fixes broken links in your store automatically.
- Full control over the sitemap file.
- Automatically generates meta title & description.
Smart SEO has more flexible payment options. While you can use it for free, I recommend you subscribe at least to the Pro plan that enables all the basic features you need.
3. Plug in SEO Plugin For Shopify
Rating: 4.7 from 2576 reviews.
Pricing: Free | $29.99/month | $49.99/month. | $79.99/month. 14-day free trial.
Plug in SEO is one of the oldest and most well-established Shopify SEO apps, with over 2500 reviews, which makes it one of the most popular plugins.
What makes it different from previous solutions is that it is less automated: it detects SEO issues automatically, but it needs your participation to fix them. This is not a bad this because you actually have more control over what optimizations and tweaks to make. Plug in SEO also provides simple step-by-step instructions and comprehensive tutorials and guides so you learn SEO while optimizing your store.
- SEO audit with step-by-step instructions.
- JSON-LD structured data to help Google rank your store.
- Organic traffic monitoring with Google Search Console integration.
- Keyword research feature with keyword targeting to gain rank.
- 404 broken links fixing.
- Training videos to learn SEO.
The free plan provides SEO checks only and email alerts only. To get any of the actual features, you need to upgrade to a paid plan. The Basic SEO Plan is enough for a small Shopify store with up to 200 pages. Bigger stores need higher plans.
4. SEO King – The Best SEO App For Shopify
Rating: 4.6 from 998 reviews.
Pricing: Free | $9.99/month | $12.99/month. | $14.99/month.
SEO King packs powerful SEO features for a moderate price, which makes it one of the best value-to-money apps. The highest plan costs $14.99, which is cheaper than what most competitors charge for starter plans.
On top of the usual SEO, SEO King offers advanced features like watermarks for your images and right-click protection and employs AI for SEO tweaks and content generation.
- Bulk edit, resize and compress photos.
- Optimizes sitemaps and JSON-LD data.
- Auto-translates content for multiple languages.
- Watermarks, disable right-click feature to prevent photo theft.
- AI-generated product content and articles.
- Alt text, meta titles, and descriptions manager.
- One-click store optimization.
- Keywords manager.
True to its name, SEO King provides some of the best SEO features. Even better, it won’t break the bank. The highest plan costs only $14.99 per month.
5. SearchPie: SEO Booster & Speed
Rating: 4.9 from 3010 reviews.
Pricing: Free | $39/month | $79/month.
SearchPie, better known as SEO Booster, is a relatively new Shopify SEO app compared to others on the list, but it already has over 3000 reviews with a rating of 4.9. Its popularity and high rating make it one of the best Shopify SEO apps in 2023.
This is another example of an all-in-one solution that covers all the SEO aspects of Shopify stores. It is hard to say what are its key features because the app provides all the features you might need.
- Comprehensive optimization that covers on-page SEO, mobile optimization, page speed optimization, and more.
- Automated image optimization to improve page load times and enhance the user experience.
- Update meta titles, meta descriptions, and alt tags in bulk.
- Long & 404 URLs auto-detected & navigated.
- Auto Rich Snippets JSON-LD.
- Everything is automated – you can fix issues in one click.
- Research your competitors’ SEO.
You can use SearchPie for free to get very basic features and sitemap submission. There are two plans to choose from, but the highest subscription is where this Shopify SEO plugin unlocks its full potential. This makes it quite expensive because other solutions offer subscription plans with all the advanced features for less while limiting the number of pages & products. With SearchPie, you must pay $79/month if you want all the top SEO features.
6. Booster SEO & Image Optimizer
Rating: 4.8 from 4390 reviews.
Pricing: Free | $39/month | $69/month. 1-day free trial.
Booster SEO & Image Optimizer is a long-established Shopify SEO plugin built specifically for the Shopify platform. This all-in-one solution implements the best SEO practices gained through the years by its developers.
- SEO AutoPilot feature that fixes all issues based on customizable rules.
- Bulk image compression.
- URL keyword optimization.
- Alt tags, meta titles, and meta descriptions optimizations.
- Automatic broken links redirects.
- Sitemap Management.
- Auto JSON-LD and Google Snippets.
- Weekly SEO health reports.
You can use Booster SEO & Image Optimizer for free, but to get any real SEO tweaks, you must subscribe to one of the two subscription plans.
7. Crush: Speed & Image Optimizer
Rating: 4.8 from 965 reviews.
Pricing: Free | $4.99/month | $9.99/month | $19.99/month.
The Crush: Speed & Image Optimizer app is all about image optimization. You might wonder why you need this Shopify SEO plugin if other apps offer far more features. Yes, but what if you don’t need those features? This app is for sellers with SEO-optimized Shopify stores who need to optimize images for all the new products they keep adding.
This SEO plugin for Shopify uses advanced image compression and resizing techniques. It reduces the size of your images without compromising quality to ensure your store loads faster for your customers. And not only product images but also asset images from your themes, blog images, etc. It also automatically renames image files and alt tags to help with SEO.
- Automated image compression without loss in quality.
- Set compression and renaming settings.
- Automatically renames image files and alt tags.
- Different types of image compression algorithms.
You can try Crush: Speed & Image Optimizer for free with a total image size limit of 25 MB. The paid plans have the same features with a difference in the monthly limit of image size.
8. JSON-LD for SEO
Rating: 4.9 from 511 reviews.
Pricing: $399 one-time charge.
Do not let the price scare you – this is a one-time payment for lifetime access, and it is totally worth it. JSON-LD for SEO is a popular Shopify app that helps improve a store’s search engine optimization by adding structured data to its pages.
If you don’t know, structured data is a piece of code that provides search engines with information about website content and meaning. eCommerce websites use structured data to display rich snippets with product prices, availability, and reviews on the search results page.
JSON-LD for SEO automatically generates and adds structured data in the JSON-LD format to product pages, collections, blog posts, etc. Again, with this Shopify SEO plugin, your product pages in SERPs will include images, prices, availability, and reviews to stand out from inconspicuous ads.
- Integrates with 20+ most popular Shopify review apps.
- Adds all the necessary schema data automatically.
- Quick and easy to set up. Install and forget.
- Unlimited app support.
JSON-LD for SEO charges a $399 one-time payment for lifetime access with all future updates. It might seem expensive, but most other Shopify SEO apps on the list cost more over time, even on the cheapest plans.
9. AMP by Shop Sheriff
Rating: 5.0 from 534 reviews.
Pricing: Free | $9/month | $29/month | $99/month.
Officially recommended by Google, this 5-star plugin is the best SEO app for Shopify to create Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP). These are mobile-optimized pages designed to load quickly on mobile devices to provide a better user experience for shoppers browsing your store on their smartphones or tablets. AMP can boost your SEO drastically because search engines consider mobile experience as one of the key ranking factors.
AMP by Shop Sheriff enables you to easily create AMP pages for your product pages and collections without coding knowledge. This Shopify SEO plugin automatically generates AMP versions of your pages, ensuring they are optimized for mobile devices and meet the requirements of Google.
- Create and edit AMP versions of your store’s pages.
- Templates and design options to customize your AMP pages to match your store’s branding.
- Optimize URLs for SEO.
- Google Analytics Integration to track the performance of your AMP pages.
While AMP by Shop Sheriff offers useful features even on the free plan, you need at least the Company plan to take advantage of the best features like AMP Home Page and AMP Blogs.
10. SEO Doctor for Search Engines
Rating: 4.6 from 460 reviews.
Pricing: Free | $14.99/month | $29/month | $79/month.
SEO Doctor is another install-and-forget solution that covers all your SEO needs. It doesn’t offer unique features that other SEO apps don’t provide, but unlike the others, it offers most of the SEO feature on the free plan. SEO Doctor is the best free SEO app for Shopify for small sellers.
- Autopilot to fix issues in bulk.
- Automatically generates meta titles based on your rules.
- Image optimizations.
- JSON-LD structured data.
- Google Knowledge Graph and Google Search Console integration.
- Free for up to 50 products.
SEO Doctor provides one of the best free plans with access to most of the features for stores with up to 50 products. But without automations. Paid plans enable automation and higher product limits.
11. SEO: Image Optimizer Page Speed
Rating: 4.9 from 4864 reviews.
Pricing: Free | $34.95/month. 14-day free trial.
Despite its name, SEO: Image Optimizer Page Speed doesn’t optimize images only. This comprehensive Shopify SEO plugin optimizes images, alt tags, structured data, submits sitemap, enables lazy load, and more. Lazy load is a technology that delays the loading of images until they are needed to increase website load speed. It is one of the best Shopify SEO apps to cover on-page SEO.
- Image optimization and lazy load to increase loading speed.
- Auto SEO audit for product pages, collections, and blog posts.
- Meta title & description optimizations, structured data.
- 404 fixes.
- Adds canonical tags to prevent duplicate content.
- SEO reports and analytics.
You can use this Shopify SEO plugin for free with image optimization for 50 products per month, unlimited alt text optimization, and an HTML sitemap feature. The paid plan brings auto-fixes, advanced SEO settings, and preload feature. The free plan makes it the best SEO app for Shopify for small stores.
12. SEO, Image optimizer & Speed
Rating: 5.0 from 1270 reviews.
Pricing: Free | $9.99/month | $19.99/month.
SEO, Image optimizer & Speed scores a rating of 5.0 from 1270 reviews, which is outstanding. And this rating is well deserved – this is one of the main candidates for the title of the best SEO app for shopify in 2023.
As the name suggests, this Shopify SEO plugin focuses on three things:
- SEO – It provides on-page SEO recommendations, such as improving page titles, meta descriptions, and URLs. It also includes automatic alt-text generation for images, schema markup, and sitemap generation features.
- Image optimization – The app is optimizing images by compressing them to reduce their file size without compromising quality. It also renames image file names and adds alt text.
As you can see, the SEO, Image optimizer & Speed app packs a lot of features, but what makes the best SEO app for Shopify is that it is cheaper than most alternatives. The highest plan costs $19.99/month, while some other solutions charge $79.99/month for fewer features. Even better, you can use such advanced features as lazy load and JSON-LD structured data on the free plan.
- A comprehensive solution with more than just SEO features.
- The pay-as-you-go plan if you don’t want to pay monthly.
SEO, Image optimizer & Speed offers the pay-as-you-go option with 50 free images per month; extra optimizations price of 3¢/image. Paid plans bring automations and increase image limit. If you subscribe for 24 months at once, the price is $2,49 per month.
13. Get Clicked! SEO Plugin For Shopify
Rating: 4.8 from 356 reviews.
Pricing: $19.99/month. 7-day free trial.
The Get Clicked! SEO plugin for Shopify checks your website for errors and shows how to fix them with the tools it provides. It also has an automatic rank tracker feature that provides insights into your store’s speed and mobile friendliness and tips on improving them.
To help with ranking, Get Clicked! SEO supplies your theme with code that enables rich snippets to display your product reviews on search results. And if you want to master SEO, the solution offers video tutorials that teach everything you need to know.
- Automatic code to display product reviews in search results.
- Scans your website for issues and shows how to fix them.
- Rank tracker for your store and track a competitor.
- Keyword research and rank tracker tools.
- Image optimization.
- Fixes broken links.
- Google Pagespeed Insights, Google Mobile Speed Test, and Google Trends integrations.
The Get Clicked! SEO plugin for Shopify provides all the features for $19.99 per month. You can try it for free during the 7-day trial.
Find Your Best SEO App For Shopify
Optimizing eCommerce SEO for Shopify is crucial for improving your visibility in search engines and driving organic traffic to your store. SEO is not easy to do, but these best Shopify SEO apps help with the most tedious task. Some even cover all the aspects of SEO, so all you have to do is install them.
With the right Shopify SEO plugin, you can improve your store’s meta tags, content, site speed, and more, making it easier for potential customers to find and engage with your brand. What is the best SEO app for Shopify? It is up to you to decide. All these Shopify SEO apps are the best, but it all depends on your needs. And your budget, of course.
There are time-tested Shopify SEO plugins like SEO Manager, Smart SEO, and Plug in ESO. There are newer solutions with more features and attractive pricing, like SEO King and SEO, Image optimizer & Speed. By selecting the plugin that best suits your needs and goals, you ensure that your Shopify store is optimized for SEO and set up for long-term success.
You might want to check the following articles:
- Shopify SEO Checklist: Beginner Guide Into eCommerce SEO Shopify
- Shopify Plugins: Must Have Shopify Apps Your eCommerce Shop Needs
- Print On Demand Shopify Apps: Best Print On Demand Companies In 2023
- 13 Best Shopify Shipping Apps in 2023
- 13 Best Shopify Dropshipping Apps