If you are selling on eBay, you have probably received an email talking about the changes to your User Agreement, User Privacy Notice, and other eBay Agreements. We have witnessed several users asking about it so we decided to clarify.
Here are the first two paragraphs of the email that was sent:
In 2016, we began the process of realigning our legal structure to better reflect how we manage and operate our platforms.
As a result, starting 1 June 2018, eBay users residing in any country but the USA, Canada and the European Union will begin contracting with eBay Marketplaces GmbH, Helvetiastrasse 15/17, 3005 Bern, Switzerland, for their User Agreement, Billing Agreements, and any other agreements that they might have previously had with eBay International AG.
Well, all we really have to know is that a new eBay has opened a company in Switzerland, and all sellers not residing in the US, Canada or the European Union will get their invoices from the new company (eBay Marketplaces GmbH), and their payment will be out to it as well. There is nothing you really need to do on your accounts. It all happens automatically.
Are you living in Taiwan, Turkey, Norway, Switzerland or Liechtenstein?
If you are, starting August 1st, you may be charged with VAT on the fees you pay your monthly invoice to eBay. Check your last bills to see if you are already being charged or not. If you do pay for it, there won’t be any effect.
As a consequence of the change of your eBay contracting entity, eBay Marketplaces GmbH will also be your new data controller for the purposes of our User Privacy Notice. eBay Marketplaces GmbH will continue to maintain your data in accordance with our global privacy standards, known as our Binding Corporate Rules.
Considering the fact that the GDPR (The new data protection law) will enter just one week prior to this update, it is reasonable to believe that they are connected. If you want to know more about the GDPR, you can visit its official site.
Anything you wish to add? Let us know in the comments below ∇
- Shai is the editor of DSMagazine and our marketing expert. His eBay account is open since 2011, and he just moved out of Thailand after living there for 5 years to travel the world with his laptop. Also, he firmly believes in single-tasking. (P.S, He can speak Hebrew, English, and Thai!)
- News2018.07.10Introducing Spin bot – DSM text spinner for original descriptions
- Sourcing2018.07.05Living up to the expectations – setting the right policies for your source
- Drop Ship 1012018.07.04Experts talking about common mistakes to avoid doing Dropshipping
- Tips2018.06.28Bulk list your products with pre-edited optimized titles